The Historical Archive of the Archaeological Service
The Directorate of the National Archive of Monuments is the body responsible for curating the Historical Archive of the Hellenic Archaeological Service, which dates from 1834. Its primary mission is the preservation, collection, classification, study and publication of archival and printed material, regarding the monuments and archaeological sites, as well as the history of the Archaeological Service.
Digitised page from Ernest Tschiller’s “Parthenon Report”, dated November 5/17th 1894. Historical Archive of the Archaeological Service.
The historical and scientific value of the Archive
The rich archival material, which dates from the creation of the modern Greek state, renders the Archive of the Archaeological Service one of the oldest and most important in the country. The archive contains administrative documents, photographs, catalogues, sketches, personal notes and other items, which provide researchers with the opportunity to study the history of the Archaeology Service, to locate information that could be useful in current archaeological research, as well address other aspects of the social, political and economic history of Greece.
The new building
The archival material has been systematically collected since 1995 and today the Historical Archive of the Archaeological Service is housed in a refurbished building at 22, Psaromilingou Street in Athens. The building is an old printing shop, which was completely renovated in order to cover the storage and conservation needs of the Historical Archive Meeting modern standards for conservation and security, the building is equipped with offices for the specialised staff of the Directorate and study areas for external researches. It also has a fully-equipped conservation workshop, exhibition areas and a library.
Access for researchers
The Historical Archive of the Archaeological Service will be open soon to researchers and the public.