The problem of finding permanent accommodation for the Service and the Archive in suitable premises was partially resolved at the end of 1996, when, after various vicissitudes, the DDAM moved from its offices in Karytsi Square to the building at 11 Agion Asomaton Street. The new offices and large spaces provided the opportunity to develop new programs and activities.
The property, along with others in the same and neighboring blocks, was originally expropriated in the 1970s for the expansion of the excavation of ancient Kerameikos. However, times and priorities change, and many of the buildings that were destined for demolition, including that of Asomaton, are now considered worthy of preservation and are being saved. In 1993, in the autopsy report of the Directorate of Cultural Buildings and Restoration of Modern Monuments, the building is described as a four-story building with a basement on the front and a fifth floor in a recess, a characteristic polygonal floor plan with parallel spaces, and a very interesting facade with neoclassical morphological elements without symmetry in the window frames. Its mixed construction is also noteworthy, i.e., load-bearing masonry and reinforced concrete in the stairwell and floors. Subsequently, following the unanimous opinion of the KSNM, a Ministerial Decision was issued designating the building at 11 Ag. Asomaton Street as a work of art, because it is one of the first multi-storey buildings in Greece, with remarkable neoclassical elements on its façade (Government Gazette 254/B/8-4-1994). The building was initially renovated for museum use, but the plan to establish a “Mother Museum” did not proceed, and so it was transferred to the DAMD. In addition to offices, part of the Archaeological Service Archive was also transferred there.
Since its establishment in 1834, the Archaeological Service, which initially operated as the Office of Antiquities within the Ministry of Ecclesiastical and Public Education, has created a rich archive of documents, drawings, and photographs, which constitute invaluable evidence not only for archaeological but also for historical research. The research and scientific exploitation of this rich material remained for decades a desideratum of archaeologists in Greece, as due to successive changes and “relocations” of the Archaeological Service, it remained inaccessible to researchers for many years. To mention only the “relocations” in recent years, in 1958, the Archaeological Service, under the Ministry of the Presidency, was transferred to the annexes of the Byzantine Museum (where the War Museum is located today). In 1971, with the establishment of the Ministry of Culture, it was moved to 12 Aristidou Street, while its old archive was moved to the basement of the National Archaeological Museum (EAM).
In a 1978 report, Evangelia Deilaki refers to the poor storage conditions in the basement of the EAM, in an inadequate room that shares an entrance with the pottery storage rooms, making it impossible to work on and process it. In 1981, the inactive archive of the General Directorate of Antiquities and Restoration (GDAA) of the Ministry of the Presidency was handed over for safekeeping to the Archaeological Society and the National Archaeological Museum. Based on the handover and receipt protocol, 273 or 277 paper boxes and envelopes were handed over “for safekeeping.” In 1988, the DAMD conducted its first autopsy of the inactive archive of the Archaeological Service, which was located in the basement and corridors of the EAM National Archaeological Museum. A total of 160 of the 273/277 original boxes were found and identified in three wooden cupboards. The autopsy report describes that the boxes were in poor condition, in some cases completely disintegrated, with the labels erased and the material scattered.
Although the building at 11 Asomaton Street is not suitable for housing and storing sensitive archives, 1997 can be considered the beginning of the fulfillment of the long-standing request to organize the inactive archives of the Archaeological Service. This marked the completion of the first phase of sorting the inactive archives of the Ministry of Culture and the agencies under its supervision (after 1971), which had been boxed up by the Directorate during the transfer of the Ministry of Culture’s headquarters from Aristidou Street to Bouboulinas Street and is stored in the basement of 11 Asomaton Street.
In 1999, at least six gradual transfers of boxes containing part of the archive were carried out from the basement of the EAM to the Asomaton building. The historical archive covering the years 1834-1945 was found in piles of loose documents whose order and sequence had been disrupted. In this state, it was received and catalogued, with the result that it is not possible to restore its original order and archival continuity. The part of the Archaeological Service’s archive that was not handed over (lists of provincial museums, excavation diaries, etc.) is still held by the EAM to this day.